The business was started in the late 1970s in the farmhouse kitchen setting of the Cahill family home by David Cahill and his wife Marian.
David, a graduate of the Dairy Science Faculty of UCC, had the technical knowledge and understanding needed to create a unique recipe for cheese. He had seen his mother make butter, cheese and yogurts using milk from the family’s Friesian herd. Together with his wife, he had a deep rooted desire to create a farm business with a view to ensuring the sustainability of the family farm for the next generation. Like David, Marian came from a farming background and thus had a strong understanding of working with farm ingredients and animals.
In or around 1978, the family commenced cheese making. The first cheese included chives grown on the family farm. The cheese was named “Ballintubber” after the townland in West Limerick where Marian was born. It was sold in local Limerick markets. Cahill’s Farm Cheese was born. The business grew and Cahill’s Farm Cheese was the first artisanal Irish Cheese listed in Superquinn in 1984. The family commenced exporting in 1985 and in 2006, the business passed to Dan Cahill, son of David and Marian.
1. Cahill’s Original Irish Porter Cheese
2. Cahill’s Original Irish Whiskey Cheese
3. Cahill’s Ardagh Wine Cheese
4. Cahill’s Ballintubber Cheddar with Chives
5. Cahill’s Ballintubber Cheddar with Garlic and Herbs
6. Cahill’s Ballintubber Cheddar with Chilli and Black Pepper
7. Cahill’s Cheddar with Irish Cream Liqueur
8. Cahill’s Cheddar with Blueberries and Vodka
9.Cahill’s Cheddar with Cranberries
Pack Size available in respect of each product:
1. Waxed Deli Wheel; 2.27kg
2. Half moon: 1.1kg
3. Waxed truckles; 190 gram
4. Cracker barrel shape; 200 gram
5. Parchment block; 200 gram
6. Wedge; 145 gram
7. Block; 120 gram
8. Block; 100 gram
9. Presentation box; 3 x 190 gram
Key Channels Supplied
Why choose us
• Traceability not just to Ireland but to the Cahill Family
• Quality, Irish, locally sourced ingredients
• No artificial colours or preservatives
• Milk from grass fed cows
• GMO free
• Unlike many specialty cheddars which are extruded, Cahill’s is pressed cheddar, thus retaining the wonderful cheddar texture which is lost in large scale production.
• Cahill’s have a strong ethos of sustainability and are verifiedmembers of Bord Bia’s Origin Green initiative.
Silver Medal - Mondial Du Fromage 2017
Gold Star - Great Taste Awards 2017
Origin Green Verified